Iran World Cup squad applies for US, Canada visas in Turkiye

2 minutes reading View : 1
Avatar photo
David Park
Sports - 21 May 2026

Iran’s football team attended visa appointments in Turkiye ahead of the World Cup, with the entire squad applying for Canadian visas and some players also seeking entry into the United States, an Iranian football federation official told Reuters on Thursday.

A number of players submitted applications in Ankara on Thursday, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The whole squad attended appointments for Canadian visas, while some players who had not applied for American visas before the US and Israeli attack on Iran in February also submitted their applications in person at the US embassy.

Several foreign-based Iranian players joined the squad in Ankara before traveling to the team’s training camp in Antalya on Turkiye’s Mediterranean coast, the official said.

The World Cup will be co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico, with Iran scheduled to play all three of their group-stage matches on the US West Coast.

Iran is set to face New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium on June 21 in Los Angeles, then Egypt on June 26 in Seattle. The team would require access to Canada if they advance to the knockout rounds.

Iran is holding a pre-tournament camp in Turkiye following the suspension of the Iranian domestic league in March, leaving many players lacking match fitness.

The team trained in Antalya earlier this week as coach Amir Ghalenoei attempted to prepare his squad after most domestic-based players went seven weeks without competitive football during the league suspension.

Iran qualified early for the expanded 48-team World Cup, but preparations have been overshadowed by uncertainty over travel and security arrangements following the US-Israeli war on Iran.

Iran’s football federation had previously stated that US visa applications for the team would be processed in Turkiye after discussions with FIFA.

Iran is due to play Gambia in a friendly on May 29 before Ghalenoei names his final 26-man World Cup squad by FIFA’s June 1 deadline.

📝 This article was rewritten with AI assistance based on content from Al Jazeera English.
Share Copied