
At least 87 people abducted by Israeli forces from an aid flotilla bound for Gaza have started a hunger strike, organizers said Wednesday, after Israeli forces intercepted the last remaining vessel in international waters.
The group is striking “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons,” the Global Sumud Flotilla wrote on X.
Israeli forces “kidnapped” six people aboard the Lina al-Nabulsi boat late Tuesday, organizers said.
The vessel was the last among more than 50 boats that departed from the Turkish port city of Marmaris last week, aiming to breach Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip.
Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed late Tuesday that its forces were transporting hundreds of flotilla participants to Israel.
“Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives,” a ministry spokesman said, calling the effort “nothing more than a PR stunt.”
Israeli forces began overtaking the vessels in international waters off Cyprus on Monday, organizers said, raiding boats, allegedly firing rubber bullets, and abducting participants.
Nine Indonesian citizens were among the detainees, a spokesperson for Indonesia’s foreign ministry said Wednesday, adding that Indonesia called for the immediate release of all vessels and pledged to use “every diplomatic channel and consular measure.”
Some 15 Irish citizens, including Dr. Margaret Connolly, sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, were among those held.
Countries including Turkey, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Libya, and the Maldives denounced the interceptions as “blatant violations of international law and international humanitarian law.”
The United States, however, imposed sanctions on four activists for their involvement in flotillas attempting to reach Gaza, claiming without evidence that the organizers acted “in support of Hamas.”
Previous flotilla participants have refused food upon detention. Pro-Palestine activists jailed in the United Kingdom also participated in a high-profile, months-long hunger strike that began last year, leading to severe health effects.
