James Tedesco named Blues fullback for 2026 State of Origin opener

3 minutes reading View : 6
Avatar photo
David Park
Sports - 18 May 2026

James Tedesco will reclaim the role of New South Wales fullback for the 2026 State of Origin series opener on May 27 in Sydney, edging out Dylan Edwards and offering attacking spark for the Blues.

New South Wales coach Laurie Daley selected six debutants in his 19-man squad, showing disregard for history after losing last year’s series.

Daley said Tedesco’s attacking brilliance proved decisive in the selection process.

“We could only find a place for one, there was some discussion around whether one of them may have been on the bench, but we didn’t think that was the right fit,” Daley said on Monday. “In the end, Teddy got the job; it’s just more around how we want to play.”

Daley noted that Tedesco’s experience playing Test and Origin football alongside halfback Nathan Cleary, and club-level partnership with five-eighth Mitchell Moses and hooker Reece Robson, were major factors.

Game one will mark Tedesco’s 24th Blues appearance and his first since the opening game of the 2024 series.

Addin Fonua-Blake and Victor Radley, who have represented New Zealand and England in Test football, are now eligible for Origin due to a change in eligibility rules.

Tolu Koula has been named on the wing alongside Brian To’o, with Kotoni Staggs and Stephen Crichton in the centres, filling the void left by Latrell Mitchell, who withdrew due to a lingering back injury.

Canberra’s Ethan Strange and Penrith’s Casey McLean, both uncapped, have been named on the bench alongside Radley, Cameron Murray, and recalled Jacob Saifiti.

The Queensland Maroons have retained 11 players from last year’s series-deciding 24-12 victory in Sydney, while naming six debutants.

Sam Walker, a Sydney Roosters playmaker, has been backed to guide Queensland from halfback, joining Dolphins lock Max Plath and Gold Coast winger Jojo Fifita as new starters.

Cronulla forward Briton Nikora (No. 14) and Brisbane No. 6 Ezra Mam (No. 18) are listed on a six-man bench, with Dolphins forward Kulikefu Finefeuiaki as 20th man.

The omission of Broncos fullback Reece Walsh, who has been below his best recently, may surprise some, but Newcastle’s Kalyn Ponga has a strong Origin pedigree at fullback.

“It is difficult but we’ve all see what Kalyn’s done at this level and also his return for the Knights this year,” coach Billy Slater said. “He’s in exceptional form and I feel his best position is fullback. He knows how to play that position and has really nailed it.

“We know what [Walsh is] capable of and he knows. He’s got a really good understanding of the things he’s focusing on when he plays his best football … and he’s getting there.”

Walker has been likened to a modern-day Allan Langer by Darren Lockyer for his unpredictability and brilliance, and has proven his big-game ability across 96 NRL games.

Queensland’s brains trust is confident Walker can unleash his best at halfback after last year’s No. 7 and player of the series, Tom Dearden, suffered a syndesmosis injury.

“We feel really confident about Sam Walker being the best option to play halfback,” Slater said. “I know how much he loves this state and I can imagine him in the backyard dreaming of playing for Queensland with the No.7 on his back. It gives me chills thinking about it.”

Thomas Flegler’s return after 677 days on the sidelines due to a shoulder nerve issue has been an inspirational story; his uncompromising mentality will be crucial up front.

📝 This article was rewritten with AI assistance based on content from The Guardian.
Share Copied