TRENDING
#1 California Mayor Pleads Guilty to Acting as Illegal Agent for China
#2 Arsenal Win First Premier League Title in 22 Years, Fans Erupt in Celebration
#3 Israel-Lebanon Ceasefire Extended by 45 Days, US Announces
#4 RFU’s Six Nations review lacks transparency; fans deserve better
#5 Hungary’s new government signals hope for Roma rights after Orbán era
#6 Inside Maurten: The Science Behind Sawe’s Sub-Two-Hour Marathon
#7 Bruno Fernandes matches assist record as Man United edge Nottingham Forest
#8 James Tedesco named Blues fullback for 2026 State of Origin opener
#9 Supply teacher Zak Chelli knocks out Cuba’s David Morrell in boxing upset
#10 Miami Upgrades Tighten F1 Field; Mercedes Still Wins
olasonic.jp
  • World
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Science
  • Sports
Saturday, 23 May 2026
Home / World

Meta, X and Snapchat Block Saudi Dissidents’ Accounts After Government Orders

4 minutes reading View : 2
Avatar photo
Emma Williams
World - 22 May 2026

Major U.S. social media companies, including Meta’s Facebook and Instagram, have blocked accounts of Saudi Arabian dissidents within the kingdom following orders from Saudi authorities.

Those affected include Abdullah Alaoudh, a U.S.-based activist and vocal critic of Saudi human rights violations, and Omar Abdulaziz, a Canada- and UK-based activist who worked closely with Jamal Khashoggi before the journalist’s murder by Saudi agents in 2018.

Read Also
UN court rules right to strike protected under key ILO treaty

At least seven accounts had been blocked by Meta by the end of April, including those of two American citizens and two individuals based in Europe, according to the advocacy group American Committee for Middle East Rights (ACMER).

Alaoudh, who serves as ACMER’s senior policy advisor, said: “Meta is effectively doing Saudi Arabia’s dirty work against Americans living in the United States. When a company geo-blocks accounts on behalf of a government with a documented record of silencing dissent, it becomes an instrument of repression. Meta should push back.”

Meta did not respond to the “dirty work” claim but provided a statement to The Guardian saying that when “something happens” on one of its platforms that is reported as violating local law but not the company’s own community standards, it may restrict the content’s availability in the country where it is alleged to be unlawful.

Read Also
Nepali Sherpa duo break own Mount Everest records

It added that “in a majority of cases” it informs affected users which state authorities sent the requests.

Meta operates a public “transparency center,” where it acknowledges that Saudi authorities contacted the company and sought restrictions on a total of 144 Instagram accounts, Facebook pages, and Facebook profiles during April. The site also shows that Meta restricted access to 108 “items.”

Interviews with some of the dissidents targeted suggest the companies approached by Saudi authorities did not all respond in the same way.

While Meta did alert users that their content was being blocked due to a “local legal requirement, or a request from a government,” Snapchat appears to have slowed or removed accounts in Saudi Arabia – including one used by Abdulaziz – without alerting the account owners of the change.

It is not clear how many Snapchat accounts were affected, and its owner, Snap Inc., declined to comment.

At least two users of X, which is owned by Elon Musk, received letters informing them that the platform had received a request from the Saudi communications, space and technology commission claiming their accounts violated Saudi laws.

A Saudi decree attached to the letters and seen by The Guardian said the accounts transmitted material that “infringes on public order, religious values, public morals, or the sanctity of private life.”

X told users including Abdulaziz that it had not taken any action on the reported content yet, writing that the company “strongly believes in defending and respecting the voice of our users.” It then urged addressees to seek legal advice if they wished, or to delete the relevant content voluntarily.

X did not respond to a request for comment.

Abdulaziz told The Guardian: “I think this is just the introduction to a massive crackdown by the Saudi government to mute opposition. It could go as far as committing atrocities, just like they did with the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.”

The Saudi government did not respond to a request for comment, sent through the Saudi embassy in Washington.

Other accounts targeted include those of individuals linked to the London-based human rights organization ALQST, including its founder, Yahya Assiri.

It said the requests from Saudi Arabia did not represent a neutral legal process but instead exposed how authoritarian censorship can be dressed up as procedure.

“These [account holders] are not dangerous actors; they are people documenting abuses, challenging state propaganda and giving voice to Saudis inside the country who cannot speak freely,” said Dr Maryam Aldossari, an ALQST board member.

“Blocking these accounts would not protect public safety, it would project authoritarian power from scrutiny. X cannot hide behind vague references to ‘local legal requirements’ when those laws are routinely used to criminalize peaceful dissent. This is how authoritarian censorship travels: through legal notices, platform pressure and the attempted outsourcing of repression to global technology companies.”

📝 This article was rewritten with AI assistance based on content from The Guardian.
Free speech restrictions Saudi ArabiaMeta blocks Saudi dissidentsMeta X Snapchat Saudi censorshipSaudi Arabia social media crackdownSaudi dissidents silencedSaudi government censorshipSnapchat removes Saudi accountsSocial media account blockingTech companies comply with Saudi ordersX suspends Saudi critics
Share Copied

Related posts

22 May 2026
Trash pop: Female stars reject respectability with hedonistic anthems
23 May 2026
Premier League Weekend: Team News and Predicted Lineups for Sunday’s Action
18 May 2026
Royal Caribbean resolves disabled son’s cruise booking dispute
22 May 2026
UK April Borrowing Hits £24.3bn, Exceeding Forecasts Amid Inflation and War
20 May 2026
FTC urged to probe Roblox over child safety and spending allegations
18 May 2026
Di Giannantonio wins crash-marred Catalan MotoGP

Trending Post

01.
Juan Mata, 38, named A-League’s best player after revival with Melbourne Victory
22 May 2026
02.
{
22 May 2026
03.
BBC News Quiz: Week’s Top Stories – Trump, Ebola, Beckham
22 May 2026
04.
UK Labour Leadership Contest Prospects Reveal Rivals’ Surprising Sides
22 May 2026
05.
Key takeaways from Democrats’ autopsy report on Harris’s loss
22 May 2026

Latest Post

Canadian PM says Alberta ‘essential’ as separatists push independence vote
World - 23 May 2026
One of San Diego Mosque Shooters Had Been Flagged by FBI
World - 23 May 2026
Texas Democratic candidate condemned for antisemitic remarks about ‘prison for American Zionists’
World - 23 May 2026
British trainers urged to maintain vigilance as equine flu cases surge
Sports - 23 May 2026

Category

Canadian PM says Alberta ‘essential’ as separatists push independence vote
23 May 2026
One of San Diego Mosque Shooters Had Been Flagged by FBI
23 May 2026
Texas Democratic candidate condemned for antisemitic remarks about ‘prison for American Zionists’
23 May 2026
British trainers urged to maintain vigilance as equine flu cases surge
23 May 2026
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer
正確で、速く、信頼できるニュースをあなたに
Logo
©OlaSonic. All Rights Reserved.