No evidence of security vetting before Andrew’s trade envoy role, UK says

3 minutes reading View : 1
Avatar photo
Michael Torres
World - 21 May 2026

The British government said it found no evidence of formal security vetting or due diligence before the appointment of Prince Andrew as a trade envoy, as documents revealed the late Queen Elizabeth II was “very keen” for her son to take the role.

A memo dated Feb. 25, 2000, from David Wright, then chief executive of British Trade International, to Foreign Secretary Robin Cook said the queen’s “wish” was for Prince Andrew, then the Duke of York, to assume the position.

The government released the documents Thursday in response to a parliamentary motion by the Liberal Democrats and stated it found no evidence that formal due diligence or security vetting was conducted, despite the role granting Andrew access to senior government and business contacts worldwide.

“We have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered,” Trade Minister Chris Bryant said in a written statement to parliament.

Bryant said the lack of vetting was “understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the royal family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work,” and because Andrew was replacing the Duke of Kent, who was stepping down as vice-chair of the Overseas Trade Board.

The government’s response, which included 11 documents detailing how the role was created and Andrew appointed, followed a Liberal Democrat motion calling for the publication of papers on his role, including any vetting and correspondence from Peter Mandelson, the former ambassador to the U.S. who was disgraced.

In the memo to Cook, Wright proposed that Andrew’s role would involve some regional trips, two to three overseas visits per year, and occasionally leading a trade mission.

Wright wrote: “Finally, we would want the Duke of York to be available to receive prominent trade visitors from overseas here in London and perhaps act as host at meals or receptions as appropriate.”

Wright said he “did not envisage that the Duke of York would want to be burdened with the regularity of meetings of the board of British Trade International or the burden of paper which goes along with the board membership.”

Wright added: “We would nonetheless ensure that he was kept in touch with board developments and issues.”

The documents also show that Andrew’s aide informed the government that he preferred visits to “sophisticated countries” and to attend ballet rather than theatre. The aide said Andrew “should not be offered private golfing functions abroad” as it was a “private activity” and if he “took his clubs with him, he would not play in any public sense.”

Andrew served as the UK’s unpaid special representative for international trade and investment from 2001 to 2011, traveling the world to meet senior business and government figures.

The second son of the late Queen became the first member of the royal family in modern times to be arrested, on allegations of misconduct in public office. Emails appeared to show him sharing confidential information with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as trade representative. Andrew has previously denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.

📝 This article was rewritten with AI assistance based on content from The Guardian.
Share Copied