Tuchel finalizes England 26-man World Cup squad with few surprises

8 minutes reading View : 0 View
Avatar photo
James Morrison
Sports - 22 May 2026

Thomas Tuchel will announce his 26-man England squad for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico on Friday morning, a decision that has been marked by consistency rather than shocks. Unlike Brazil’s Carlo Ancelotti, who revealed his squad in a glitzy ceremony at the Museum of Tomorrow in Rio de Janeiro, Tuchel will unveil his choices in a digital-first broadcast from Wembley, streamed live on the Football Association’s England app at 9:45 a.m. BST. Former internationals Theo Walcott and Daniel Sturridge will join the show, and Tuchel will give an interview.

The squad list, which has already leaked partially, includes Jordan Pickford as the undisputed No. 1 goalkeeper, backed up by Dean Henderson and James Trafford, with Aaron Ramsdale and Nick Pope left out. In defense, Reece James and Tino Livramento are at right-back, while John Stones, Marc Guéhi, Ezri Konsa, Dan Burn, Jarell Quansah, Nico O’Reilly and Myles Lewis-Skelly anchor the center and left side. Midfield features Declan Rice, Elliot Anderson, Jordan Henderson, Kobbie Mainoo, Jude Bellingham and Morgan Rogers. Forwards include Bukayo Saka, Noni Madueke, Eberechi Eze, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Ollie Watkins and Ivan Toney.

Surprises are minimal. Tuchel has already made his phone calls, and the most notable exclusion was Harry Maguire, who said Thursday he was “shocked and gutted” to be left out. The Manchester United defender had been recalled for March friendlies but Tuchel indicated then that others were ahead. “I haven’t changed my mind,” Tuchel said after the Uruguay game. “But I see other players I like to start for us, other players ahead with a different profile.” He named Konsa, Guéhi, Stones and Trevoh Chalobah, and Dan Burn is also expected to travel.

Fitness concerns cloud two of Tuchel’s preferred back four. Stones has made only four appearances for Manchester City since December, raising questions about his match sharpness with England hoping to play eight games in 33 days. James, returning from a hamstring injury, played nearly all of the FA Cup final but was rested against Tottenham; Levi Colwill, recovering from an ACL rupture, may be considered a risk. Livramento, out for a month with a thigh problem, is ready to prove fitness. Ben White is out with injury, and Trent Alexander-Arnold is low in the right-back pecking order.

At left-back, Luke Shaw’s strong club form for Manchester United was considered, but Tuchel has favored youth in Nico O’Reilly and Myles Lewis-Skelly, who can also play midfield. Lewis Hall has been on the fringes. In midfield, Rice is the anchor, with Anderson set to partner him. Jordan Henderson’s experience and leadership are valued for squad harmony, especially after Gareth Southgate’s difficulties dropping senior players at Euro 2024.

Youngsters like Kobbie Mainoo, rejuvenated since Ruben Amorim left Manchester United in January, have impressed. Mainoo, 21, was a key player at the last Euros but still has defensive weaknesses. Adam Wharton’s line-breaking passing has not fully convinced Tuchel, while Alex Scott and James Garner miss out. Jude Bellingham, Eberechi Eze and Morgan Rogers are the three No. 10s selected, with Cole Palmer and Phil Foden paying the price for underwhelming club seasons. Tuchel believes this brings clarity to selection.

Disappointment awaits Morgan Gibbs-White, who finished strongly for Nottingham Forest. On the wings, Bukayo Saka is first choice on the right, with Noni Madueke edging out Jarrod Bowen; on the left, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Gordon lead. Cutting the No. 10 options allows Tuchel to take two backup strikers for Harry Kane. Ollie Watkins, omitted from March’s squad, has pushed his case. The surprise recall is Ivan Toney, despite playing only two minutes for Tuchel, likely to create competition and for his penalty-taking. Danny Welbeck, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Dominic Solanke will feel unlucky to be overlooked.

Tuchel’s selection is defined by consistency, with the wildcard inclusion of Toney not withstanding. He believes he has the right blend for the mission to put a second star on England’s shirt. The Football Association has gone digital-first to harness excitement, streaming a live show from Wembley on its recently launched app. The show includes appearances from Walcott and Sturridge, and Tuchel will drop in for an interview before other media activities.

Goalkeepers: Pickford, D Henderson, Trafford. Defenders: James, Livramento, Stones, Guéhi, Konsa, Burn, Quansah, O’Reilly, Lewis-Skelly. Midfielders: Rice, Anderson, J Henderson, Mainoo, Bellingham, Rogers. Forwards: Saka, Madueke, Eze, Rashford, Gordon, Kane, Watkins, Toney.

Maguire did OK when called up for March friendlies, starting against Uruguay and threatening on set-pieces as a late substitute against Japan. But Tuchel’s comments after the Uruguay game indicated the direction of travel. He name-checked Konsa, Guéhi, Stones and Chalobah, and might have mentioned Burn, who was part of the group for Japan. Jarell Quansah was also in his thinking. The worry for Tuchel has to be the fitness of two of his preferred back four.

Stones is currently injury-free but has made just four appearances for Manchester City since December. Match sharpness could be an issue. England hope to play eight games in 33 days. The same question applies to James. He only returned from his latest hamstring injury on the Saturday before last and, after playing almost all of the FA Cup final this past Saturday, was left out against Tottenham. Colwill returned from an ACL rupture in May and impressed, but Tuchel may consider him a risk too far.

That is not the case with Livramento, who is ready to prove his fitness after a month out with a thigh problem. Ben White might have gone as Tuchel is a big fan, but the Arsenal right-back is definitely out with an injury. Tuchel knows that Konsa and Quansah can cover at right-back. Djed Spence has started two Premier League games in two months for Spurs while Alexander-Arnold was seventh in Tuchel’s right-back pecking order.

Luke Shaw was an interesting part of the conversation at left-back. He has started every league match for United and played well, but his last England appearance was in the Euro 2024 final. Tuchel has been swayed by youth in the position, sold on O’Reilly while Lewis-Skelly has made a timely return to form at Arsenal and can also play midfield. Lewis Hall has been on the fringes.

Start with Rice and move on from there. Anderson has become a mainstay since his debut in September and is set to partner Rice in central midfield. Henderson will not be a starter but his experience counts for a lot. Tuchel, keen to leave no stone unturned, is aware of the issues caused by Southgate dropping a host of senior players at Euro 2024.

Yet there is room for youth in the middle. Mainoo, rejuvenated since the departure of Ruben Amorim in January, caught the eye since returning to United’s starting 11 and was a key player for England at the last Euros. He is still not the finished article and has defensive weaknesses, but his ability on the ball makes him a compelling option. Wharton, with his line-breaking passing, has not quite convinced Tuchel. Bournemouth’s Alex Scott will have to wait, while Garner may find Everton’s recent slump has counted against him.

Much of the focus has centered around how many No. 10s Tuchel intends to take. In the end, the answer is three: Bellingham, Eze and Rogers. Palmer and Foden are discovering that there is a price to pay for underwhelming club seasons. Brilliant on their day, they have not done it for England for a while. One benefit to having only three creators competing for one spot is clarity in selection. That means disappointment for Gibbs-White, who finished the season strongly for Nottingham Forest. Tuchel has been ruthless.

With Saka first choice and Madueke poised to edge out Bowen on the right, and Rashford and Gordon leading the way on the left, the squad has a streamlined feel. Cutting the No. 10 options leaves Tuchel space to select two strikers to provide cover for Kane. There was a time when the German toyed with picking Kane as the only No. 9. Not now. Watkins has been pushing since his omission from the March squad. And there always was likely to be at least one major surprise from Tuchel. A recall for Toney was not on the cards. The Al-Ahli striker went to the last Euros but has played two minutes for Tuchel. What gives? Perhaps part of the plan is to create competition between Kane’s understudies. Toney also takes a mean penalty. Welbeck, Calvert-Lewin and Solanke will nonetheless feel unlucky to be overlooked.

📝 This article was rewritten with AI assistance based on content from The Guardian.
Share Copied